Narratives: Story Comprehension and Story Making Bundle
Over 190 pages of Low-Prep Resources for Instant Download!
As humans, we are wired to tell stories. But some children struggle to understand or narrate stories, including many children with developmental language and other learning disorders, and some children who are learning English as a second language.
This bundle of our most popular narrative-level resources is designed to support children to learn the fundamentals of story-telling, with contextualised language workouts, evidence-based scaffolds, scripted modelling, idea prompts to help students to understand stories and to make up an unlimited number of stories for themselves, and engaging activities suitable for working with students one-to-one, in small groups, or at the class level.
Here is what’s included in the bundle:
- The Story Wizard’s Master Story Builder: Evidence-based scaffolds, models, visual prompts and ideas to teach and practice making true narratives.
- The Lion and the Mouse: a Narrative Language Workout targeting language content, structure and social use.
- The Tortoise and the Hare: Narrative Language workout for targeting language content, structure and social use.
- The Dog and His Reflection: a Narrative Language Workout targeting language content, structure and social use.
- The Crow and the Pitcher: a Narrative Language Workout targeting language content, structure and social use.
- Mercury and the Woodman: a Narrative Language Workout targeting language content, structure and social use.
- Short Biographies and Fables: 10 short, classic reading passages for young primary school students, each with questions at different levels of abstraction, including inference, verbal reasoning and extension tasks.
Understanding stories can open up a student’s world so that they can learn from the experiences of others and develop social skills like empathy and theory of mind. We all have stories within us, and this bundle provides a framework for anyone to tell their own tales.
Connect with us, read our articles and find more resources at our speech pathology clinic:
Known to many as Speech Bloke, David is a Certified Practising Speech Pathologist, Lawyer, Author and Father. He is based in Sydney, Australia, where he helps adults and children with communication issues to speak for themselves.
David manages a busy private speech pathology clinic, and a publishing company for speech pathologists in private practice. He is the founder of Banter Speech & Language, and Speechies in Business. He is passionate about ethical practices and consumer rights and regularly guest lectures to speech pathology students and others on legal issues affecting the profession.
David holds a Master of Speech Language Pathology from the University of Sydney, where he was a Dean's Scholar, ranking first in his graduating year. He is admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the High Court of Hong Kong, and lived for 8 years in Hong Kong. David is a Certified PESL Instructor for accent modification. He is a Hanen- and LSVT LOUD-certified speech-language pathologist with post-graduate training in the PreLit early literacy preparation program by MultiLit, the Spalding Method for literacy, and Voicecraft for voice issues.
Prior to becoming a speech pathologist, David was a senior lawyer at a US Investment Bank and, before then, worked for global law firms in Hong Kong and Sydney. He knows what it takes to communicate professionally and to compete in a globalised workforce.